May 28, 2018
Memorial Day Ceremony, Hike/Ruck & Social
12:00 PM - 07:00 PM AKDT
58-512 Davis Hwy, JBER, AK 99505
Join Team RWB as we spend time honoring our fallen at a ceremony on base, hold a memorial flag ruck march/hike and then cap off the day with a fun Team picnic at Otter Lake. Come for the full event trio or jump in on only a portion - it's up to you!
The first event will be at the Fort Richardson National Cemetery for their annual Memorial Day service from noon to 1 p.m. (More details on that to come when they release them.)
When the ceremony ends, those who wish to participate in the hike/ruck will relocate their vehicles to 907 CrossFit on nearby Camp Carroll. From there they'll hit the road to take part in a 5 mile flag group ruck/hike (roads are largely unpaved but could be friendly to strollers with large wheels). Bring your flags, patriotism and a ruck if you feel like it.
That hike/ruck will end at Otter Lake where will meet for an afternoon picnic and lake fun! The Team will provide grilling meat (burgers & hot dogs), buns, non-alcoholic drinks and plates/silverware -- and we’ll even have some kayaks and lifejackets on hand to enjoy on the lake.
A few other details:
- If you do not have base access please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will meet you at the Boniface Gate at 11:15 a.m. to register for visitor passes. Please bring a valid federal ID and your vehicle insurance and registration.
- If you do not have base access but are attending the Memorial Day ceremony at Fort Rich cemetery ONLY, you can access via the Fort Richardson gate, but must leave after the ceremony.
- Never been to Otter Lake? Use this map to find your way. (The address below for this event is for the National Cemetery.)
- Please bring a picnic side dish to share. Planning to hike or ruck? We’ll make sure you can pass it off to someone for transport. (Unless you want to ruck it in. …. In which case, please take photos because that could be funny).
- Feel free to bring lawn games, camping chairs or anything else that will make the picnic more fun and relaxing for you and your family.
- If you're only joining us for the Otter Lake fun, we'll plan to start that at about 1:30 p.m. in the covered picnic pavilion. Find us by looking for our Team flag and tent.
- We’ll have a shuttle runner available to take hikers/ruckers back to their vehicles when they’re ready to call it a day.
Amy Bushatz, email@example.com